About Greenhouse Gardener’s Companion
The book, Greenhouse Gardener’s Companion, authored by Shane Smith and published by Fulcrum, is a top-selling greenhouse book for home hobbyists. It was first released in 1982 and is now in its 3rd edition. Also in 1982, he wrote The Frost Free Greenhouse, for the Department of Energy. It was the first book written on the subject of farming with unheated greenhouse-like high tunnels, using only the design of the structure and solar heat to prevent frost.
About Shane Smith
Shane Smith is the Director of the Cheyenne Botanic Gardens, founded in 1977, and Wyoming’s only public botanic gardens. It is a volunteer-centered project (mostly seniors, youth and handicapped volunteers) with an emphasis on community and sustainability.
About the Cheyenne Botanic Gardens
The operation includes 9 acres of developed grounds, one of the nation’s oldest and largest solar-heated and solar-powered greenhouses, and the Paul Smith Children’s Village, which opened in 2008. The Children’s Village was the nation’s first public children’s garden to receive LEED Platinum designation. He is currently in the early stages of developing the 62-acre High Plains Arboretum sited on the site of a former USDA horticultural research station.
Beginning with his first garden radio program while in college in 1975, he has had a continual involvement in bringing gardening to the public via radio. Since 1978, he has produced a garden-oriented radio program on KFBC AM in Cheyenne, which is the longest continually running regularly scheduled radio program in the city.
For over 33 years, Smith has consulted and lectured nationally on gardening, horticultural therapy, greenhouses, public garden design and community greening in 27 different states, Mexico, Venezuela and Canada.
You can contact Shane Smith at email@example.com.
- Shane Smith has a BS in Horticultural Science
He attained his registration as a “Horticultural Therapist, (HT)” from the American Horticultural Therapy Association
He served as a Loeb Fellow in Advanced Environmental Studies at Harvard University, 1989-90
He has been in the greenhouse business for 36 years.
AWARDS & RECOGNITION:
Under Shane Smith’s leadership, the Cheyenne Botanic Gardens has received recognition awards from presidents:
- Received the “American Entrepreneurial Leadership Award”, from Partners for Liveable Communities, in association with President Clinton, 1994
- President George Bush, “Point of Light Award”, 1990
- President Ronald Reagan, “Exemplary Volunteer Program”, 1986
Shane Smith, individually, is the recipient of:
- 2012 American Horticultural Society’s “Great Gardener Professional Award”
- 2012 National Garden Clubs’ “Award of Excellence”
- 2011 American Public Garden Association’s “Award of Merit”
- “Community Hero Award”, from Wyoming’s Governor Jim Geringer, 1996
- Harvard’s “Loeb Fellowship”, 1989 – 1990
- Wyoming Business Council “Award of Excellence”, for starting the State of Wyoming’s first modern farmer’s market